Electric cars, sometimes refered to as electric vehicles (EVs) are advanced electricity-powered automobiles. The basic principle of operation of electronic cars is based on the use of electric motors. They are built with rechargeable batteries which store energy needed to power and propel the vehicles. Gradually, the use of electric cars is becoming rampant in advanced countries of the world. However, the lack of enough power (or charging) stations has long been one of the reasons electric cars have not been widely accepted.
The invention of electric cars has been around for many decades until advanced technology was adopted in making the vehicles. In the 18’s, an electric car was built in Scotland. It weighed about 6 tons, ran a distance of about 2400m at an average speed of 1.8m/s.
TYPES OF ELECTRIC CARS
Some electric cars are only partially electrically-powered while some are totally powered by the use of electricity. There are three basic types of electric cars. They are: PHEVs, HEVs, and BEVs.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles [PHEVs]
This type of electric vehicles use both fossil fuels and electricity for propulsion. Under this category, cars are powered by charging the batteries, plugged to an external electric charging unit and the cars are also powered through fuel. The fuel recharges the car when the rechargeable battery runs out of power.
- Battery Electric Vehicles [BEVs]
These cars use electricity as the only source of power. They have no fuel engine nor do they have an exhaust pipe or fuel tank. They only means of getting the vehicles charged is by plugging to an external electric source (or charging station). They can also be powered via regenerative braking.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicles [HEVs]
Hybrid electric vehicles are slightly different from PHEVs. In HEVs, electricity is generated via regenerative braking while PHEVs must be plugged into an electricity grid before they can be charged.
TOP 5 ELECTRIC CARS 2019
- 2019 Nissan leaf plus
This latest model of Nissan electric vehicle is furnished as an advanced version of the Pure-electric leaf model. This new model can cover not less than 363,000 meters when the car is fully charged. When fully accelerated, Nissan leaf plus can reach 214hp.
- 2019 e-tron
This car is fully electronic, boasts of first-class features such as two electric motors, perfect sounds system and superb interior design. It has a battery capacity of 90Kwh. The car also comes with a 150kw fast charger. When e-tron is fully charged, the car can cover a total distance of 250,000m in a single start before the battery goes down.
- 2019 Bryton M-byte
The interior decoration of this electric car is impeccable. It is built to be a self-driven, and this would be fully implemented as soon as the car’s software is available. The self-driving feature is to enable drivers to become actively involved in other activities even while they’re behind the wheels.
- 2019 Hyundai Kona electric
This is the latest of Hyundai’s electric car with great features. The car has an electronic motor of 150KW. When fully charged, this vehicle can cover a total of 4,150m before the power runs out.
- 2019 BMW i8 roadster
This is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle [PHEV] that was first introduced on the market in the year 2013. In 2019, the design of the car was improved. The roof was raised a bit to give the car a better shape. When both the electric motor and fuel engine are activated together, the car can accelerate at 6.4m/s².
ADVANTAGES OF ELECTRIC CARS
- Low maintenance cost: The maintenance cost of electric cars is quite less-expensive compared to conventional cars. Since they do not use gasoline, there is always no need for changing any parts of oil engines or servicing such engines. In addition to these, electric cars’ brakes do not wear out easily like that of conventional vehicles. Hence, less maintenance cost spent on brakes. On the long run, it helps increase your savings and cut you of unnecessary spending on mechanical faults.
- Low running cost: The running cost of electric cars is cheaper than that of cars using gasoline. This is as a result of the fact that electricity is far cheaper than cost of gasoline used by conventional cars.
- Zero noise: Electric vehicles do not make noise while commuting. This absolute silence is not experienced in conventional vehicles. Conventional cars make a lot of noise which constitutes a nuisance to society. Electric cars are very silent that pedestrians sometimes are oblivious if these vehicles are closer to them.
- Zero environmental pollution: Electric cars do not release smoke to the environment because they are not built with exhaust pipes. Due to the absence of exhaust pipes, electric cars are considered eco-friendly. The release of gases to the air has caused so much harm to the human race. CO2 gas and other gases released through the exhaust pipes of conventional cars are harmful to health.
- Safety: Electric cars tend to have lower center of gravity. This allows them to be more stable and prevent them from rolling over uncontrollably at high speeds.
DISADVANTAGES OF ELECTRIC CARS
- Conventional vehicles take little time to fill their fuel tanks, but charging an electric car takes a longer period of time. The number of hours required to charge an electric car ranges from 4-15hours.
- The purchase price of electric vehicles is higher than that of conventional vehicles.
- There are a few charging station facilities available.
FUTURE PROSPECTS OF ELECTRIC CARS
The future prospect of electric cars is becoming brighter than it was predicted, sometimes in the 18’s. Maby country leaders have considered it to be a good alternative to cars powered by fossil fuel and the cars have also shown quite a number of good quality of becoming a tool for fighting global warming. Nevertheless, there are certain conditions that are liable to hinder the product from being widely accepted in the future. The major setback is the high cost of batteries. If battery prices can be reduced and source of electricity can be made from a renewable energy source, then the future of electric cars is certainly bright.